One of the biggest differences between my husband and I is what we value. He has a “man cave” full of gidgets and gadget (things he thinks are worth spending money on) but we differ on the money we should spend decorating our home. As a result, I spend a lot of time figuring out how to get a lot of bang for a little buck.
As I posted a couple of weeks ago here, we moved into our house nearly 6 years ago and one of my dirty little secrets was that nearly all of our crappy builders grade light fixtures were still being used. Here is a photo so you will know how bad off we really were:
After a few weeks of hunting, I found 4 of these fixtures (the number I needed). In their original state they really weren’t any better than what we were replacing. I could tell both my husband and the seller thought I was crazy for buying these.
I was near comatose sick last week so I had plenty of time lay and bed and envision what I wanted the fixtures to look like. I knew that spray paint or something to change the finish was going to be involved. The only fixture that stayed in the house is our dining room chandelier, which is wrought iron/oil rubbed bronze, so the new ones needed to be similar. Krylon Spray Paint to the rescue. They actually make a paint called oil rubbed bronze (also, satin nickel and a few other metallic finishes).
Next, I had to find something to obscure the “sparkle” I photographed above. I am not much of a crafter or a scrapbooker (believe me I have tried, it just isn’t me), but I spent some serious time in the scrapbook paper aisle. I found some really cute retro papers that were tempting, but nothing that I wanted to use throughout my house. I finally settled on a slubby tan linen from the fabric department (I love that Hobby Lobby has everything in one place).
A few hours, a few brain cells killed by spray paint and spray mount and…..TA DA…
If I were to do it again, I would probably look for a printed linen or looked a little harder for the right scrapbooking paper. I love them in their current state, but I think they would be just a little more interesting with a little pattern. Anyway, I sleep better at night knowing those ugly white globes are gone (well actually they are still around, I can’t figure out whether they are even worth donating, but definitely can’t throw them away).
On to the next weekend project…
I have had materials to do a little master bedroom drapery makeover for several months. The first part of the plan was to add some trim to the leading edge of the curtains. My hesitation in sewing it on is because 1) I kinda hate sewing and 2) The disabled the sewing machine I had last time I went on one of these DIY crafty sprees. Then I had a flash of genius….hot glue. Now, for my clients, I would never recommend this. In my professional life, my goal is to give people beautiful and well constructed homes/furnishings, etc. In my own house, sometimes it is fun to experiment. If the trim falls of in a few months, I can go back to the sewing plan. Just as the world was sitting down on Sunday to consume several thousand calories of hot wings or potato skins or whatever, I was warming up the glue gun. I have a very short attention span for televised sporting events.
Here are a couple close up photos of the outcome. I didn’t take photos of the full window because the drapery makeover isn’t quite complete (and I don’t think the bed was made). Hopefully next week I can post photos of the completed window.
I realize my posts have gotten off on a DIY/Bargain Hunter/Craigslist tangent. I promise a couple more posts this week that are just full of pretty.